Monday, December 20, 2010

What is it to be a Man?

Does equality mean we are the same?
Can we ever be the same?
And if we are not, what happens to equality?
We defined manhood too narrowly, my Love,
And now, we are watching its realities rip wide
Through your life.
And I am awestruck that you remain standing,
but I am also not surprised.
Today, you are a man.
You feel the Samurai blood in your veins.
The Viking blood...the Crusader.
You face the dragon alone.
Clear your mind and see the monster.
I remain silent to let you concentrate.
This is how I must be Samurai.
And Viking and Crusader.
It is not my battle, my Love.
You must fight it alone and win it alone.
It is the only way for the lessons to burn
deep into your brain and soul.
Today, you are a man.
And  so am I, despite my female sex.
Because I am strong enough to let you go.
I want to run to you and hold you tight,
but that would let the Dragon win.
So, I remain silent to let you concentrate.
Even if I never see your beautiful face again.
I must remain silent to let you concentrate.
As you will do for me one day.
Because that is what Men do.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Cinnamongirl! I've returned to the blog now and hope to learn more in 2011. That's the secret to aging...don't stop the mind!

    ReplyDelete