Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Internet Cannot Replace Reality, No Matter How Hard we Try

Perhaps the Wikileaks excitement is one of the final throes of the Internet madness. Nothing will be a secret ever again. We may as well stand in the street naked screaming all of our secrets and thoughts and after awhile, no one will care...and I'm starting to think that's happening now. For some of us, who are shy and isolated, social networking provides that cliche...that mask and protective shell we can blossom under. Writing used to do that, but it's so hard to get produced or published. But you can do it on the internet, even if it's just like this...unseen by anyone. I have gotten behind the mask of a few people and let them behind mine and I wonder now....was I taking this all too seriously or did I learn those personal things only contact can tell you and make better friends or ruin carefully set illusions that can never be rebuilt or forgiven? I am going out again today to meet people, but I know that I will not be aggressive or friendly enough. I cannot use a secret name or a mysterious photograph to hide me. One of the fun things to watch on Facebook is a game I call Passive/Aggressive Facebook. It is a terrifying game for those with nerves of steel and too much free time. Posts are loaded and erased. Comments are altered. Stalking among the Profile page actions run rife and everything is denied. I have to take a shower and go into New York City today. If the Big Apple isn't enough for me, I really have to get some more hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment