Sunday, January 23, 2011

Been a Long Time Coming

Sorry that I've been away so long, both of you. I've written 4 drafts of a 2 act play. It takes 4 to get it ready to read and at least 6 to get it to a perfect production moment. While waiting for anyone to want the damned thing, I've started a film script of Amour Americaine. I don't look at the play, but just start setting the characters off on new adventures with tons of "Money" and "Casts of Thousands". By not needing dialogue, I discover new things that can go into the play. I love the visual aspect.

Roxy runs into the apartment and throws his supplies in front of his easel. He tears off his leather jacket and arranges the canvas on the easel and stares at it. He crouches down almost like a wild animal and looks at it, then tears through his bag for a brush and a tube of paint. He stands and confronts the canvas. Then makes one delicate stroke.

SIRIANA (V.O.)
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.

Roxy suddenly splashes a wild band of color across the canvas.  He throws down the paintbrush and tears off his shirt. Barechested, he digs into his bag and comes up with tubes of paint he just squeezes onto the canvas.

SIRIANA (V.O.)
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.

Roxy begins to manipulate the paint with brushes, slowly bringing out the awesome form of a tiger coming toward the viewer.

SIRIANA (V.O.)
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.

CLOSE ON the eyes of the tiger in the picture. There is almost a touch of fear in them.
CLOSE ON Roxy’s face, working closely on the canvas, his own eyes almost bright with a spark of insanity.

SIRIANA (V.O.)
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

Roxy falls back on the floor, exhausted. It looks as though the tiger is about to jump on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment